IHG and Association colleagues spent the month of September 2018 working to improve their communities, the environment and the lives of others. More than 130,000 colleagues from IHG brand hotels as well as corporate offices around the world participated in the first Giving for Good month.
During September, colleagues were invited to make a positive contribution through volunteering, engaging in activities to support the environment or doing something extra to take care of their health and wellbeing. For each person who took part, IHG contributed funds to one of 11 charity partners of the colleague’s choosing, donating a total of US $400,000. IHG’s list of charity partners was specially curated to support causes that tie closely to our business, including building skills and education in the hospitality industry and providing aid when disasters strike.
Giving for Good month is just one component of IHG’s True Hospitality for Good program, which is designed to give colleagues a greater say in how important causes are supported around the world, more choice over which charity partners are supported, more opportunities to volunteer and more funding from IHG.
The True Hospitality for Good program has five key elements:
1. The True Hospitality for Good fund, a $3 million fund representing IHG’s largest charitable financial commitment to date
2. Giving for Good month, a month dedicated to encouraging IHG colleagues to come together and create positive change
3. A focus on volunteering that creates opportunities for IHG colleagues to improve their communities through donating their time
4. Match funding, which will encourage IHG colleagues to give to IHG’s charity partners
5. Partnering with IHG® Rewards Club to allow loyalty members to donate points to charity partners
In September 2018, IHG colleagues around the world worked together to achieve:
- More than 125,000 hours of volunteering
- Nearly 23,000 donations of food and belongings
- Almost 4,500 blood donations for those in need
- More than 38,000 acts of care for the environment